Thursday 28 July 2016

Garden Party

Sunny Day for Schopwick 


It had been a hectic few days in the run up to the NSPCC Garden party at Schopwick Place, Elstree on Sunday last. I’d been busy finishing off quilts all week before joining the Studio Quilters ladies for our Saturday at the Guide Hut in Borehamwood (where I spent a good part of the afternoon emptying out the scrap box for my own amusement). Then I had to rush home to bake a coffee cake before a big girl’s night in with Ali (and rather a lot of pink champagne!). 

Back home before 9am to decorate said cake, pack the car up with a dozen or more quilts, then to collect friend Ann and all her beautiful handmade cards to set up our display for the garden party.























 We had hoped to have more quilts to display from other members of Connecting Threads Patchwork and Quilting Group, but there were only a couple, so I had to ‘pad out’ the exhibition with some of my own and several more I had picked up from Studio Quilters the day before. We were keen to sell some of these in support of the NSPCC – but no takers unfortunately. Still, it made for an interesting diversion for the visitors, even though some of them were rather bemused as to what we are all about. One gentleman came in, looked at the quilts on the wall and asked “Are they screen-printed?” 

I’ve heard it all now!

We may do better at the NSPCC Christmas Fair at Allum Hall in November. Perhaps if it had rained again, more people would have come indoors to see us – but as it turned out, the Great British weather was a good deal kinder for the event this year, than last. A good time was had by all and the entrance fees, cake sales and other contributions made it a very successful event. Hats off to Ann and Norman Shuker for hosting this event at their beautiful house.


Now that it has cooled down a bit in my loft, I have made a start on quilting a very nice ‘first attempt’ quilt top made by a lady I met recently. She was too quick to point out her shortcomings (a common failing amongst us crafters), but really she should be proud of it. It is a very striking patchwork design made with fabrics from the Downtown Abbey range from Makower in elegant shades of taupe, black and mauve, with some very impressive machine appliqué . ‘Finished is better than perfect!’ and if I can help her to finish the final stage I will be very pleased. I will post pictures as it progresses.
Until then – Happy Quilting!
Janet

No comments:

Post a Comment