Sunday 18 September 2016

Hearts and Flowers and Fibonacci!

It’s been a fairly productive week one way and another. 





My little heart cushion was finished by the early hours of Sunday morning. It is something of my Mum’s that I have treasured and I’ve been meaning to make a special cover for it for years. I played with the embroidery stitches again and learned that the stitch around the binding is extremely difficult to unpick!

If I’d known I was going to become a quilter I’d have paid more attention to maths at school. But you’re never too old learn something new. On Saturday, I attended a workshop by Sheena Roberts for Connecting Threads where she demonstrated the ‘Convergence’ block by Ricky Tims. (The maths bit is Fibonacci’s series of numbers 0 1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 etc where each number is the sum of the previous two.) We applied this formula to the ratio of sizes of strips cut from four squares of fabric which were sewn together then turned 90 degrees then cut and sewn again. The result is a pleasingly proportioned block with the four fabrics ‘converging’ throughout. Of course, I had to be difficult and start with smaller squares (purchased wrong size at Festival of Quilts). But Sheena was brilliant and worked it out for me. Here are my two blocks which I’ll probably make into a cushion for the NSPCC Christmas sale at Allum Hall in Borehamwood in November.




Checkout our website for pictures of everyone else's.

Finally, I have just finished quilting this top for a lovely lady called Pat, having had to stop half way through because I ran out of bobbin thread. Her piecing was superb, every seam pressed the right way and no loose threads. This was my first attempt at this edge to edge design and it was such fun to do. I hope she likes it!



Happy Quilting Everyone!
Janet

2 comments:

  1. I made this too with a jelly roll. I wish I had known you back then, the quilting is lovely as usual xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just fabulous Jan...loving your cushion cover,so precious.....you have been busy! Xxx

    ReplyDelete