Wednesday 24 August 2016

It's official - I have a collection!






It is time to admit that I have a growing collection of sewing machines – large to small and old to new.
Apart from my amazing Handiquilter Avante 18 (longarm machine), I now have two working modern machines; my beloved Bernina Virtuosa and my brand new ‘portable’ Brother Innov-is 350 (best eBay bargain ever!).

Last year I acquired a pretty antique Singer handcrank machine (model 28k - 1902).
I had wanted one because they are so beautiful and as a reminder of my sewing lessons at school where I always chose the hand operated machines as I was scared of the electric ones running away from me! I got it on eBay and drove right across central London to Tooting to pick it up on a busy Saturday afternoon. 


Since then I have recently found a perfect little treadle table with three drawers either side. It had been converted with a decoupaged top, so I’m not able to treadle with it. But that was never my intention, as I have always wanted one just as a piece of furniture. I had only had the model 28k on it for a few weeks when my oldest friend’s mother sadly passed away and my friend passed on her old Singer to me, saying that her Mum would be happy to think of it going to a loving home. 


A little research identified it as a model 27k – 1905. This machine is a fair bit bigger and the decals are in even better condition, more complete, brighter and with a lovely sphinx motif. It now has pride of place on the treadle table and I’ve had to move the furniture around a bit to re-situate the smaller machine.


Towards the end of last year a friend remarked on the 28k and said she had an old machine that she was going to put on a skip. I couldn’t bear the thought of that and took it off her hands with the intention of listing it on eBay. I figured that, even if it only went for 99p, if someone was willing to collect it, they would have a real purpose for it and not just throw it away. I’ve still not got around to it, but I will soon.
It is a Vickers (as in WW1 aircraft and ammunitions) machine and in a comparatively poorly state, with no lid. The online information is not as comprehensive as for Singers, but I would date it from the 1920s. The history of the company makes interesting reading though.


So that’s six machines in the house. I don’t have space for any more so I’m not actually collecting them (like I don’t really collect china !)

Happy Quilting Everyone!
Janet










4 comments:

  1. How lovely Jan those machines bring back so many memories,and they are so decorative.....and of course you don't collect.....see those pink pigs hitting the window! Xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now Margaret! I think you and I understand each other!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. It's official. You are a collector. But that's nothing new. Or don't the 50 Tea Pots, or various bits of cream ware, or Eternal Bow count?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Uncle Big Bad! Who bought me half of that?! xxxx

      Delete