Thursday 11 August 2016

Downton Abbey Splendour

Lovely Fussy Cut

Sandra came over today to see what I’d done with her Downton Abbey quilt and to decide on the binding fabric. I’m happy to say she was pleased with it – it’s a bit scary sometimes to be entrusted with someone else’s precious project.
This was her first full scale quilt top and quite an ambitious pattern. Sandra had made a lovely job of the pretty appliqué, with some tricky curves to go round with satin stitch. (She tells me that she does a lot of machine embroidery).


There were some issues with different dimensions at the top and bottom ends but I managed to straighten it up to some extent and quilt out the extra fullness with a feather design flowing up through the quilt. I so enjoy filling in blank spaces like this.


The fabrics were from the Downton Abbey range from Makower, in really classy shades of black, grey, purple, mauve and beige, with a good balance of different scale prints. For the large sections in the centre of the 6 blocks, Sandra had carefully fussy cut matching patterns which I accentuated by quilting around the main motifs. 






Between us I think we’ve made a lovely quilt!







Next on my to do list is the calendar block challenge for Studio Quilters which is due back for the August meeting. I will get on with it next week if I’m not too distracted by what I see at the Festival of Quilts on Saturday!
Until then – Happy Quilting!
Janet

4 comments:

  1. Absolutely stunning...the colours,design and fabulous stitching....enjoy the quilting festival xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous quilt and beautiful stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous quilt and beautiful stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're very talented Janet. The quilting is beautiful and really enhances the quilt.

    ReplyDelete